Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Stomach bug and kidney infection plague our daughter...

Here is the update I emailed everyone about Hannah and how she is bouncing back...

Thank you so much for your calls, emails and prayers over the last week. Hannah just got home today after 5 days and 4 nights at the exceptional CHOC (Children’s Hospital Orange County) resort and spa, wink! She is finally on the mend. What started out as the simple stomach virus Sunday a week ago, turned into something so much bigger as the week progressed, high fevers, lethargy, dehydration, delirium and more! For those of you with daughters, especially young daughters, always be sure that they know when using the restroom to wipe front to back and not vice versa or even back and forth. I know we all teach our children to do this however please remind them the importance of it!! Hannah’s final diagnosis was EColi Pylonephritis – which is basically a severe kidney infection that she basically ended up giving herself from already being sick and having loose stools. I know, TMI, however, if I can help protect one other girl out there from getting sick in this fashion, then it’s all worth it!

She will be on antibiotics for the next 7 days and is starting to return to her normal self again, for which we are eternally thankful. To see your child sick and hospitalized really puts things into perspective and reminds you of what is truly important, especially here at the holidays. I have to also add that CHOC was amazing and her stay was filled with gifts, quilts, visits from 3 comfort dogs, surprises, crafts and so much more. She wanted for nothing and the staff provided her with excellent care. Even during her sickest moments, they were able to make her feel loved, supported and bring joy to her. As a parent, that meant so much.

Now, I am exhausted and a little delirious myself as is Bob. We need to catch up on about 10 days worth of housework, laundry and other responsibilities that were left unattended during this whole ordeal. During any crisis, I am the girl you definitely want by your side, I am at my best, strong and supportive, never one to panic or show the stress and emotion I am truly feeling however now that it is over, I know that a breakdown is due as I can feel I am just on the edge so now I will shower, grab a glass of wine and privately hang out with my family to enjoy all that we have and realize that we are not only lucky to have caught this in time but we are also very blessed to have such wonderful friends and family around to support us during a time like this. I hope we are able to convey just exactly how much you all mean to us. We love you!

I will post some pictures of Hannah’s hospital stay on our family blog later tonight (after my glass of wine). If you don’t have the blog address, let me know. It’s been a while since it has been updated so there will be lots of updates in the days to come.

With all our love and thanks!
Happy Holidays,
Kimberly, Bob and kids

No comments: