Friday, January 22, 2010

Recycled Crafting with Kids

I was going to post yesterday but I was too busy crafting! Hannah had a friend over so I decided to teach them how to make paper. We made very cute cards with all the recycling from my shredding machine, added seeds in it and they make darling cards that are perfect gifts and can be re-gifted back to the earth after we are done. So the girls made some cards with perennial wildflower seeds and they added in chamomile, vanilla, lavender and other scents to make their cards not only functional but smell good too! I made a stack of 4 cards that each contain seeds to plant a "pizza garden" - a tomato card, basil card, onion card and red pepper card. I stamped the back with some really cute CTMH "handmade" stamps that I ordered long ago from the best scrapper I know, my cousin Haley - check her out here. Now I am going to tie these up with a cute set of gardening gloves, trowel and shovel and give them to someone as a gift.
It was a great day. I even bought a piece of wood, mitered it and made my very own deckle screen frame. This craft is so stinkin' easy that even small kids can do this as well. All you need are recycled paper materials, water, screening material and a lot of creativity! Makes great teacher and neighbor gifts!!! The best part the only costs are the sees and the scents if you decide to add either, otherwise these cards could be made completely for free by using leftovers around your home - dry your flowers and save them too for nice additions of color pop in the cards. You can trim the edges or leave them rough as I have done. The paper is the easy part, what you do with it afterward is up to you. :)
Have fun. What have crafty project have you done lately with your recycling materials?

1 comment:

Traveling Bells said...

Wowza! Wish I had been there to play with you and the kiddies! That is a terrific idea, and practical as can be.

I sure hate missing you and yours when y'all are in Albany, but I know the folks there will be happy campers.

Big hugs, honey...