Friday, January 25, 2008

Fabulous Food Friday!!!

I just had to share that we just ate the most yummy, scrumptious Jambalaya. I love good cajun and/or spicy food and we like to kick this one up a notch. No, this isn't an Emeril recipe, this is from the other famous N'awlin's chef, Paul Prudhomme. I had the opportunity to take a cooking class with him once when I lived in Greenville (it was a charity thing) and I learned so much. The best advice he gave us was that when you see all those spices listed in a recipe that you should divide them into thirds and add a lil' bit in the beginning, middle and end. He explained that as your food cooks, the spices change flavors and if you want to really experience ALL the flavors in a dish, to ration out your spices so that you can distinctly taste the spices in all their glory. So anyway, as I digress, he was awesome and I have been a huge fan of his cooking for many years. Tonight, I pulled out his famous Louisiana Kitchen cookbook and turned to my favorite recipe and got to cookin'. I always forget how easy this recipe is to make and I always say that I should make it more often. Anyway, here are some (not very good pics) of the ingredients and final product. I used chicken and shrimp tonight because I was all out of the tasso sausage which I absolutely love! It was good just the same. Just use whatever ingredients you've got and this is one recipe you can "play" with to suit your tastes. Let me know if you want me to post the recipe.

The "Trinity" ~ celery, onion and pepper (I used an orange one b/c it tastes like a green one and I like the color combo)

The Trinity mixed up, being sauteed! My house is smellin' good.....
Of course, doesn't everyone make their own fish stock? In my case, I save up all my raw discarded shrimp shells, put them in a handy dandy Food Saver bag, pop those babies in the freezer until I need a good fish/shrimp stock and then I simmer them up for about 15 minutes in about 2 cups of water until the broth is ready. It is a quick easy solution when you need a quick stock. Another Paul Prudhomme tip that I use ALL the time!)
The finished product right before we dove in! I bet you wish you were here right now don't cha??? Off to sit and wallow in my stuffed misery....
XOXOXO,
Kimberly



1 comment:

Traveling Bells said...

Oh yummmm...I want the recipe! Bob/Lynne arrive in their m/h today, so this might be a good dish to fix one night.

Love the bulletin board idea and seeing all the new pics of your kids. I am saving our special kiddie pieces of artwork in a three-ring binder when they are no longer displayed on the fridge, bulletin board or elsewhere. Priceless!!!

Mucho hugs,
Sandy