Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy New Year...

Wow, can you believe that it is already 2008? It's funny because I think back to being in high school or even college and the year 2000, the new millennium, seemed so far away, filled with new age possibilities and dreams of a new world. Now look at us, we are already almost a decade into the new millennium and we are still just as civilized as we were 20 years ago. Oh wait, did I just say 20 years? Yup, with 2008, it also welcomes in the fact that I will be headed to my TWENTY YEAR high school reunion. Can you believe it? I can't. But what I can believe it how good the last 20 years have been. Sure, there have been ups and downs but I am married, with three really great kids (most days) and I wouldn't change a thing (most days, :-)).

January comes to us with lots of birthdays to celebrate, one very special one is my dearly departed grandmother whom I miss terribly. Her birthday was yesterday and she was with me in my thoughts all throughout the day. Happy bday grandmother, I love you!

Let's see what has happened in the new year? Well, Bob is getting better. I know that we have all tried to loose weight at some point and look for low calorie or low-fat foods, which I might add, that you can find everywhere and truth be known, they are probably worse for you than the original good stuff if you truly look at the ingredients. With Bob's high BP, I have been on a quest to not only cook healthy foods for the fam but to also cook low sodium. Have you ever tried to cook low sodium? Man oh man, I know how new products get started now because if I had extra money in the bank, I would start a new food line with low sodium in it. These type of products are virtually non-existent. EVERYTHING is loaded with salt and if it is low in salt, they have increased the potassium so high that it becomes dangerous as well. Salt is one of the #1 preservatives and it it's frozen, canned or pre-packaged, it's loaded, check the labels for yourself, I was astonished! So, now, I have been cooking from scratch virtually every day using fresh veggies, lots of fruit and whole grain items that are good for you. Bob has dropped 7-8 lbs already and I know I have lost some but not sure how much just from changing our eating patterns and cutting out that darn salt! Who knew????

The kids went back to school today, thank goodness! Cabin fever was settling in, especially with all this rain we've been getting. For an area that our average rain fall is 5 inches per year, to get it all at once, well, let's say, I have pond in my backyard right now. Add some fish and I'd be set. Seriously, I am not complaining as we surely needed it and it has been a welcome sight but Lord, if you could spread it out some, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Natives are getting restless and wanting to eat so I've gotta run.
~K

No comments: